By B. Siertsema
If Phonetics is a relatively contemporary topic for ecu scholars of overseas languages and is eyed through them with a few sus picion as an invention that's intended to make their stories tough, it really is much more so with English Phonetics for African scholars. haven't Africans been studying English for over a century, and with solid leads to many instances, with no giving a inspiration to its phonetics? Why introduce this new topic and upload to the variety of books they need to learn and the variety of examinations they need to move earlier than they could get their measure? but if the examine of a international language is to be modern its phonetics can't be missed; to the contrary, it truly is as vital because the research of its spelling, if no more so. With the discovery of radio and mobile, of gramophone and tape-recorders, the significance of the spoken note has elevated immensely and it really is way more crucial now than it used to be 100 years in the past that those that study a overseas language may still learn how to communicate it correctly. therefore a brand new topic has been extra to the time table of language scholars and academics: the learn and perform of the sounds of the language, and for the academics additionally the research of ways to coach those sounds.
Read or Download A Test in Phonetics: 500 Questions and Answers on English Pronunciation and How to Teach it in West Africa PDF
Best west books
West Bengal has the longest-ruling democratically elected Communist executive in global heritage. because 1977 the Left entrance has ruled a inhabitants of sixty eight million humans and has acquired substantial world-wide realization as a good instance of 3rd international improvement and alter. during this e-book, Dr Ross Mallick convincingly demanding situations this view of the Left entrance executive, arguing that it's been a failure when it comes to redistributive improvement reform.
Sherry Monahan is an expert on ''the urban that would not die'' and its heritage. In Tombstone's Treasure, she specializes in the silver mines, one cause of the city's founding, and the saloons, the opposite cause town grew so speedy. while the invention of silver at Tombstone first turned recognized in mid-1880, there have been approximately twenty-six saloons and breweries.
Life can occasionally hinge at the flip of a card—not in simple terms the gambler’s existence but additionally the lives of these just about him. For Jodi Varon, one fateful flip replaced her father’s life—propelling her right into a seek faraway from domestic that might lead readers to a brand new contemplation of relations ties and misplaced cultural legacies.
- A Republic of Rivers: Three Centuries of Nature Writing from Alaska and the Yukon
- Frommer's Utah
- The Unofficial Guide to Las Vegas 2010 (Unofficial Guides)
- The xeriscape flower gardener: a waterwise guide for the Rocky Mountain region
- Burro Genius: A Memoir
- Econometric Decision Models: Proceedings of a Conference Held at the University of Hagen, West Germany, June 19–20, 1981
Additional resources for A Test in Phonetics: 500 Questions and Answers on English Pronunciation and How to Teach it in West Africa
478. Do we always put the tip of the tongue between the teeth? 42 XX. ) 479. What are these two different ways of pronouncing th called? 480. Which of the two would you teach beginners and why? C 481. Transcribe: The coast was clear and the pirates sailed out. 482. What sort of sound is the first sound in coast. 483. Explain the terms you use. Do you see any other plosives in this sentence? 484. What is the relation between the last two? 485. Have you ever heard of a glottal plosive? Is it a phoneme in English?
What is this phenomenon called? 328. Is there any rule governing the stressing of such words? 329. Transcribe with primary stress marks: He is a Chinese; a Chinese lantern. This afternoon; afternoon tea. Quite unknown; an unknown traveller. She is eighteen; eighteen people. 330. Why do you change the stress in some of these words, and what is the phenomenon called? 331. Put primary stress marks in: She is his grandmother. His grandmother is dead, his grandfather lives in A. The headmaster wants you.
G. Oh! Always must I be the sucker! ::dwiz]. Vowels may end in the same four ways as they can begin. Oh! might be pronounced in highly emotional style with a strong h-sound after it, a "voiceless 0". Cf. Yoruba bi? which ends in a voiceless i. (Aspirated ending). When the Ooo! is drawn out longer, it will probably have the gradual ending, in which the vocal cords move back towards breathing position while exhalation goes on and the mouth is still in o-position. The voice (vibration) gradually dies out as the vocal cords move wider and wider apart; they do not stay in the h-position long enough for the h to be heard.
A Test in Phonetics: 500 Questions and Answers on English Pronunciation and How to Teach it in West Africa by B. Siertsema
- Joseph Lepgold, Miroslav Nincic's Beyond the ivory tower: international relations theory and PDF
- Download e-book for kindle: Crusoe’s Footprints: Cultural Studies in Britain and America by Patrick Brantlinger